I still see and talk to people at 20+ percent body fat with barely an ounce of trained muscle on their frame worrying about what the best time to train is, which supplement is best for fat loss, for muscle building or what style of training is the best.
The industry seems to indulge these people and come up with answers instead of being straight and saying ‘right now’ it isn’t probably isn’t worth worrying about.
I’m all for details. Infact I’m a details kinda guy.
People love a good statistic but the notion that your obese client requires a body fat assessment to confirm what they already know is, in many cases merely for the marketing neccesity of the facility ‘if’ that person happens to make a statistical change. In some rare cases it’s nice for the client to know but right now it’s probably not how to start.
The fact that society has told them they’re obese, the anthropometric design of seats affirms it daily and they may have spent their life being told it. They came to you for support and to start a progressive journey. You start by confirming their biggest fear.
I often hear trainers new to the industry getting engulfed in pubmed studies and worrying about details like what the ‘best’ time to train is and if taking a post workout will blunt GH production. I want to explain to them how much time earlier in my career I spent confusing myself trying to understand things I had no need to even understand.
Our biggest limiting factor with client results is compliance. Not if they have or don’t have a post workout drink.
If they intend to lose fat they need a hypocaloric state brought about by a slight caloric restriction and/or increased activity. Adequate protein and that’s about it.
HIIT 4x a week, GVT 3x a week, £85 of supplements a week and fish and green veg as frequently as possible will not make much difference to the outcome.
A calorie deficit. That’s all most of our demographic needs until the day they’re lean as hell, carrying a good amount of muscle mass or been training for multiples of years.
If they intend building muscle they need progressive overload and a calorie surplus.
Experience, basics and getting people to comply is the thing that will make you a better trainer and get you results in the onset, that’s pretty much all you need.
90% of the general clientele I would deal will need 10% of my knowledge and experience to get results. 10% need the other 90%.
My business lies with the general clientele. Not elite sports people, bodybuilders or physique athletes.
My sports science degree and numerous other qualifications beyond that simply gave me the tools to dot the I’s and cross the T’s.
The other interesting thing is the guys that where in the sports science labs (which was incidentally next door to the gym) all that time whilst ignoring stepping foot in the gym and those in the gym 24/7 without stepping foot in the lab are doing very little now in any facet of the industry.
Both parts play a role.
Eat quality foods, be consistent with your training and learn how to sustain and comply to plans. If you’re a trainer observe, learn and if you don’t understand it, pick up a book, speak to someone you respect and knows more than you and ask.